A few months ago, I found myself on a quest for the ideal dehydrator for making jerky. I needed something that would give me more than enough room for all of my jerky needs (which are many!) so the search was pretty intense. What I finally found was the equivalent of a King’s jerky maker—the Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator (comes in black). Not only did it share the same name as King Arthur’s legendary sword, it also sort of resembled a medieval torture rack—perfect for withering my jerky for hours on end! Mwahaha!
The Excalibur review
All joking aside, this is truly one of the neatest pieces of kitchen equipment that I’ve seen in a long time. With 9 trays, this dehydrator gives you a whopping 15 square feet of space for drying out your jerky. I’d imagine that’s more than enough to keep me swimming in beef jerky well into the apocalypse!
So it has the size requirements I needed—but what about functionality and extras? I set out to put the Excalibur to the test to see if it’s the best dehydrator for jerky. Here’s what I found.
What I like about the Excalibur
- 9 contact drying trays gives you room to create enough jerky to feed everyone on your Christmas list—never buy another gift again!
- A 7-inch fan hits the trays equally so that your food dries super even and all your jerky is ready at once—jerky overload! (by the way, here’s my favorite beef jerky recipe)
- Adjustable thermostat – makes it simple to rule over your beef like the King Jerky you are!
- Polyscreen tray inserts keep the food from sticking and are super simple to make your kids cleanclean up!
- Simple on / off switch for dummies like me
- It’s almost too big! I feel like the jerky king when I’m done, rolling around in all my dried meats
- It’s not the prettiest thing in the world—in fact, I think I found my wife putting a mask on it one day so that it wouldn’t give the kids nightmares!
The bottom line—is it the best jerky dehydrator?
Yes, it is an outstanding jerky dehydrator. All in all, there are a ton of good things and not any significant bad points with the Excalibur. If you want something that is prettier and a little faster (though at the expense of technique perhaps), you can check out the Nesco Snackmaster. It has a top mounted fan so you don’t have to turn the three trays, but like I said, it’s too “new age” for a beef jerky purist like me.
So if you’re looking for the best dehydrator for jerky, I can’t tell you how great the Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator is—well, I think I just did. Pull the sword from the stone—unleash Excalibur on jerky everywhere!
Where Can You Buy the Excalibur Dehydrator?
You can get this amazing food dehydrator from Amazon. You can even get it shipped to your home for free. Want to know what other people are saying about this food dryer? Check out these reviews from Amazon.
How Much Does It Cost?
The Excalibur Dehydrator is a great deal with a price that’s usually under $250